The historic Kress Building in Downtown Houston
features retail/restaurant space at street level (The Flying Saucer), and lofts on the upper floors.
S. H. Kress & Co was the trade name of a chain of five and dime retail department stores which was established in 1896 and spread to the Main Streets of hundreds of American cities and towns. In the 1960's the owners of the company changed marketing strategy and moved from the central cities to shopping malls. Many of the erstwhile stores are architecturally significant, including the Kress Buildings in Houston and San Antonio. A historical black and white photo of the Kress Building in Houston can be found in the Houston Library's digital collection (click hyperlink).
|Terra-cotta facade on the North side seen across parking lot|